Video ABC [GMA] and KGO
RESALE AND THRIFT SHOPPING
Here are some great tips for all of you out there shopping the resale and thrift stores. If you follow these guide lines you will make some great purchases. And become a great resale shopper. Just remember, don’t buy just for the sake of it. Always be a discriminative shopper. ALWAYS.
GOOD DEAL HUNTING…Here are my best tips for a successful experience.
Resale Shopping/ Thrift shopping/ Vintage shopping/ consignment
1. When you go resale shopping wear easy on and off clothing and the correct underwear.
2. Check the seams and edges.
3. Make sure the garments don’t have stains, odors, or mold and check to see that the lining is intact.
4. Try on everything. Don’t go by the size in the garment because it could have been altered.
5. Look for high end designers first and items that you can’t usually afford.
6. Haggle the price. Often the resale store will take a lower price.
7. Take pictures or create a list before you go shopping have a plan. This kind of shopping can be overwhelming
.8. If you have to dry clean a garment or get alterations, remember this adds to then overall price of the item
9. Make friends with the sales person, so that they will let you know of new deliveries, sales and when she has something she knows you would like
10. If you are new to resale shopping start by buying a classic little black dress (LBD) , a coat, trench coat or a handbag.
11. Anticipate sales and delivery dates for new merchandise, which usually arrives on a Tuesday.
12. Trust in the classics. Buy a great jacket, nice fitting jeans, brown or black shoes, belt or jewelry, white blouse, black trousers.
13. When you are buying an item, make sure it goes with three things in your closet.
14. Ask yourself if you can wear the item in winter and summer.
15. Can the item go from day to night?
16. Evening handbags are always a safe thing to purchase.
17. When buying something you may think is expensive, think cost per wear.
18. Thrift stores don’t always know all the high end designers names so don’t just shop in the designer section.
19. There are copies of designer handbags out there! BEWARE..
20. Check the vintage section because some 40’s 50’s 70’s and 80’s styles are very IN STYLE right now.
21. Look for vintage sunglasses. They can create an awesome look.
22. Check knits for moth holes.
23. Mold is almost impossible to get rid of so smell the items and check handbags and shoes carefully.
24. Be creative. Try wearing a sweater back to front or a necklace worn in the back of a backless dress. Try wearing two belts instead of just one.
25. A lot of thrift stores have children’s and household section. Check these areas out!
26. Look for anchor pieces and build from there.
27. Look for new shoes or designer shoes when in doubt. Cowboy boots are always great with jeans. Boots are always in style.